Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Wapiti



I was working in the barn in the late afternoon and I heard it- the first unmistakable sound of Fall. "Eeep, Eeep, Eeep." The Puli brothers went nuts. The corgis looked at me. After all what's the big deal? It's just our Winter Elk herd. What an absurd sound from such a huge graceful animal.



There they were- 100-150 Elk clearly annoyed that I'd put in new fence by the road. After stopping traffic in both directions they trotted through the sage down down past the house and down to the gulley. After stopping to graze in my neighbors well irrigated field they hopped the next series of fences and crossed the road Westward. I'll probably see them down by the River today. They like to settle in on the golf course with the Canadian Geese.

Hunting season is here and they know where they can hang out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not meaning to be too picky, but don't you mean "Sheepdog TRIALS"?