Wednesday, June 26, 2013

One potato, two potato

With no irrigation my crop choices are limited. I need something which can survive with little or no water. I need something which the deer don't like to eat. Fortunately for me that problem was solved in the 19th century with the first farmers in the area.

Loamy soil holds on to moisture for weeks. Our last big rain was May 6th and if you dig down 18" you'll still find damp clay. Of course clay/loamy soil isn't great for wheat, corn, beans or any of the other standard cash crops. Although there is evidence that someone tried to grow wheat up here once that was probably during WWI when wheat prices where insanely high. (The wheat "bubble" ruined a lot of farmers and was one of the big causes of the Dustbowl).

The 19th century homesteaders found a solution. This used to be a big potato growing region. I mean *big* growing more potatoes than Idaho. They even developed a specific type of potato which thrives here: The Red McClure.

Red McClure Potatoes

These were planted May 24 and 25th. We haven't had any rain since then but I did give them one good watering out of the cistern on June 10. The mulch you see is chipped sage and juniper. This is a heavier mulch than I normally use and we'll see if it makes any difference. 

I was lucky enough to get some Red McClure starters from our local Slow Food program. I'd tried other varieties of potatoes and the Russets seemed to do the best. I just wasn't prepared for how well the Red McClure's liked their home soil.

There is a lot of talk about how these don't taste great- I'm convinced it's because other farmers are being too nice to their potatoes. There's an old German saying "The worst farmers grow the best potatoes". That would be me, I abuse and neglect the little darlings. This makes for a firm potato with a very earthy flavor. You need to cook them twice (merci M. Escoffier) and don't be shy with the butter. These are great for braising, roasting or just a lovely slow saute.



Here's the great Corgi Hunter Duffmeister waiting for voles. That's really the only problem I've got planting these, the voles. I've tried sonic spikes. I've put raptor perches around the garden. Bottom line, nobody has come up with a better vole deterrent than a Corgi.

I'm not the only one who is growing potatoes again.

Woody Creek Vodka

No comments: