Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The imitation of failure, letter to the editor, updated

This is in response to the plans for development of the former Pan and Fork trailer park site.



Dear Basalt, when one culture imitates another it imitates the worst parts of that culture.

Condos???? You want Condos instead of a clear shot at the river and grass under your feet? Don't you already have a crystal clear example of what 50 year old Condo development looks like? Is that the future you want? Have. You.  Lost. Your. Mind??????



If I voted in Basalt I'd push for a Performing Arts Center. 

(take a look at a plan of Stratford- it's analogous to Basalt in many ways)


If I voted in Basalt I'd be canvasing local architects (Harry Teague comes glaringly to mind) who understand both the topography and the community (I mean did anybody even ask???).



If I voted in Basalt I wouldn't rest until the wetlands which were torn out with the trailers were replaced.


If I voted in Basalt I'd be thinking of all sorts of ways that those folks in their oh so urbane loft apartments at Willits could spend a quaint evening sipping chilled cucumber water on the green by the river- because there sure ain't nothin' happening at Willits when the stores shut their doors.



Come on Basalt don't do an Aspen- do better than Aspen- make a destination community not a second home community.


Updated: here is a perfect example of how a museum can revitalize a community and become a destination point: Crystal Bridges which now hosts 600,000+ visitors a year

1 comment:

Karin Reid said...

This is such an important issue, I hope all that read his letter become involved and change the direction this development that seems to be going!