Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Meat



It was an exciting day today for the 4 footeds. 

Today is meat delivery day. Since 2008 I've had these guys on a raw diet. Homestead Ranches in Paonia does a raw dog food which combines muscle and organ meat. They get this ground up meat with a supplement of raw bones 3X a week.




They deliver to my area once a week and this week it's time to restock the dogfood.

40 lbs of meat and 3 pork ribs.

This will last about a month and a half. I keep checking to see if they're getting too skinny or too fat and adjust accordingly. They also get variety- like treats from my favorite local "fast food" place (Scot makes a killer egg sandwich) Scotties

They arrive frozen and I get them in the freezer as quickly as I can.



It's easier to cut this into portions when it's partially frozen. I use a separate cutting board just for the raw meat. If you're going to do this wash your hands thoroughly after you've fed the beasties. If you think that's going to be a problem you can always use chef's gloves.
1/6 pound for breakfast and 1/6 pound for dinner. 

I separate Duff and the Pulis when I feed them otherwise Duffy would steal BB and Luv's food

It's gone in about 10 seconds.

Maybe 5 seconds.

BB and Luv sitting pretty for dinner.

Luv chomping on his and BB waiting his turn.

BB gets his and promptly takes it out to the driveway.

The raw diet is controversial and if you'd like to know more about it why not go to the yahoo group and get more info? 

I can tell you this, my guys love it, they're happy, they're healthy and  they have shiny white teeth. 

There are lots of reasons to do this- not the least of which is we waste so much food why not use the less popular cuts of meat for dogfood? It's what we used to do, give the scraps from the table or the extra bits from the butcher to the dogs. 

But the major reason is because we have them for such a short time and it's great to see them enjoying things... like dinner.


Oh yeah, I don't eat meat, just the dogs....


No comments: