Thursday, July 4, 2013

Red McClure rules

In his excellent book How to Not go Broke Ranching Walt Davis writes " It was not the ranch's job to provide what the livestock needed; rather, it was the livestock's job to produce on what the ranch provided.

Let's talk potatoes. As I mentioned in an earlier post  I'm growing Red McClure potatoes. These potatoes were developed in the last century specifically for the soils and climate in this area.

Here's what I'm talkin' about: This is a Yukon Gold which I got from Rock Bottom Ranch last year (they have water, I don't) . I planted it at exactly the same time as the Red McClure with the same mulch and watering. It's been this size for about 2 weeks now.

 Here is a Red McClure, with a Puli for scale.

Okay, with my hand for scale....


I agree with Luv, the Red McClures are nicer.

 ...much nicer.


Mr. McClure knew what he was doing.

No comments: