Thursday, August 15, 2013

Summer Lunch



I pulled up one of the Red McClure potato plants early just to see how they were doing. What I got were some lovely "new" potatoes. Obviously if I'd let this plant develop into September I would have gotten a lot more.


I decided on lunch instead.


I sliced these into 1/4" slices. Please notice that these are really firm since they've only gotten natural rainfall since June 10 they're dense and have absorbed a lot of "earth" flavor.


Normally I'd steam these first and then sauté them but these are so tiny I can do a slow sauté and then braise. Get the fire under the skillet, get it hot, then add olive oil.


I like Spanish olive oil because it's made when the olives are green and it's more "olivey" but this combo of Spanish and Italian is pretty darn good and won't break your wallet the way the pure Spanish Olive oil will. 




As the oil heats I prep some baby broccoli and onion. I add garlic (from the garden) to the onion and let it sit for at least 10 minutes since I learned on my favorite cooking program The Spendid Table that you get most of the health benefits from garlic if you slice/crush it first, let it sit , then heat it.


Here's my little trick for anything which has onions *and* tomatoes. I add some local honey to the onions while they sit. This melts into the onions, counters the acidity of the tomatoes and adds sweetness.


This is wildflower honey and adds a fantastic depth of flavor. 


When the oil is hot enough I add the sliced potatoes and turn down the heat. I want these to cook slowly, not as slowly as eggs- but slowly.


As the potatoes simmer I add salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, fresh rosemary and sage (because sage and potatoes are the *perfect* combination.)


I wait till the potatoes start to brown on one side and then turn them over- gently one at a time...


I add the things which take longer to cook, the onions with garlic and honey.


and the broccoli.


... and then I add the cherry tomatoes which are perfect tart little bursts of goodness right now....


By this time the oil should have cooked down enough that the tomatoes begin to deglaze the pot. 

Turn up the heat.

If I use the word "deglaze" you have to know that the word "wine" isn't far behind. For this I use a white Bordeaux which keeps the colors fresh and mixes with the olive oil to make a bright lovely pan sauce. If you don't want to use wine then skip the honey on the onions and deglaze with apple juice or cider.


This is a ridiculously affordable White Grave from winelegacy.com it gives a good tart and tanin flavor without overpowering with sweetness.



I add one of my local favorites. Avalanche Cheese makes Goat Cheese.


That tastes, looks and feels like a pasturized Brie.


Just drop a few chunks on top....


turn off the heat ... and let the steam happen.


Slide it all into a shallow bowl and serve with a mild red wine



Add a few more cherry tomatoes on top because they are soooooo good right now!

I'm serving this with an Italian table wine Montelpulciano d'Abruzzo it's slight acidity will lend brightness to the olive oil and potatoes  and dance well with the tomatoes and honey.


Buon Appetito.


If you need desert, have a piece of fruit... 
















No comments: