Friday, May 15, 2015

Groasis 3 years in...

It's time to check in on the Groasis Waterboxxes. If you want to see the previous posts please search for Groasis or use this link.

Of the bare root choke cherries I started with in 2013 one is doing very well. These are the bare root choke cherries I got from  Cold Stream Farm in Michigan It's gone from this:
2013

to this: 2014
to this: 2015


The other choke cherries from Rocky Mountain Native plants were tiny seedlings:

and I had my doubts that these would ever make it to the sunlight;
but look at that!

Without irrigation and really, without any attention or care. So to recap I had some difficulty the first year with deer eating the bare root trees (giving myself a dope slap for that). My local supplier only had seedlings so that's what I used to replace the bare root starters which the deer had munched. I had a couple of waterboxxes which lost water because of root infiltration so I had to caulk and refill those. Sometimes I clear the water intake funnels but that's about it. 

I'll keep posting but overall I'm confident enough to give these a try for something more substantial than choke cherries. To be continued….










No comments: