Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Stoop and roll

Driving home from lunch I saw a falcon stoop to kill a crow. I'm not sure what kind of falcon, we have several here, peregrine and prairie,  and I'm not a good enough birder to tell which at a distance but a falcon's stoop is unmistakable. The falcon dove and missed. It carried such prodigious speed that it immediately swooped upwards in a roller coaster loop until it was completely inverted and then did a flip to right itself. Meanwhile the crow was flapping for all it was worth to get as much distance as possible between crow and falcon. As they were disappearing out of sight I saw the falcon, now straight lining behind the crow, getting closer with each flap of it's sharp sharp wings.

I doubt the crow will be lucky a second time today


No comments: