Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Groasis grows.... or not.

First the good news. My good buddy Chris (landscaper who planted my apple trees) got some cages to cover the Groasis Waterboxxes to help keep the deer away.


On Memorial Day weekend I planted 20 choke cherry trees in 10 Groasis waterboxxes. Twelve of these were 12"  choke cherry (Prunus virginiana) seedlings mailed from Cold Stream Farm in Michigan and eight were 2" itsy bitsy babies from CSR in Rifle Colorado 


One of the larger seedlings seems to be doing well.


The other eleven, not so much. As you can see by the close up this one is dead- and snaps in two with a little flick of my thumb.


The others are dead or dying.


It seems that spiders have contributed to their demise. I'm not sure what kind of spider, but anything which makes a funnel web I give a wide berth. My camera has a zoom which fits nicely in the Groasis opening so I could get a view right down at plant level without getting too close.


Of the 8 baby seedlings 6 are still green so there's still hope.  I think I'll try and plant new seedlings in the fall where the other's have died but I'll definitely go with smaller ones.


No comments: